Personally, I love Corrine's disclaimer in her first post, that we are all sinners....I may be wrong in what I say and I pray that I will show grace and patience with anyone that points that out...so feel free ;)! I thought I would just write some of my comments here, so everyone could participate...not that they are so profound or anything; but, I have truly felt convicted in the past few days of my attitude and how I treat my family....and my witness to others in how I "appear" to them...
I read the first chapter a good two weeks ago and then the book got put aside in favor of some lighter reading (Austen's "Emma")...well, when I was going to the Y the other day, I picked it up and read it while on the bike. Now, back up a bit, on the way to the Y, I called and complained to my husband about how tired I was, how the kids kept arguing and this and that, and on and on....so while I was reading about joy and thankfulness, I had quite the wake up call!
I'll begin with Ch.2, since Ch. 1 and the Introduction have already been so carefully covered by Corrine, herself! Prov 17:22 starts off the chapter and I began to recognize that we really can't have, or claim to have, joy if it isn't visible outwardly...this is particularly true for our children...visible joy is the only joy that children can really understand and it is an encouragement to them. I also began to remember how I was giddy, joyful when dating and am not always that way now...why do we sometimes take our spouse (and family, in general) for granted and not remember that who and what we are is reflected in our faces and our outward "joy"?
I loved the story of the "ugly, hillbilly lady" and it really makes me wonder what people see in me and how I can handle disobedience differently when I'm out in public and quite honestly, even in private (ie. at home), b/c even God can see me there and I should worry more about what he thinks than anyone! I know sometimes I'm "ugly" when I discipline the kids in anger...forgive me now Lord, as I've asked so many times in the past.... I've also always made a point of apologizing to the kids and praying with them for theirs and God's forgiveness when we loose our tempers with each other (the Doorpost's "Brothers Offended Chart" has been a great addition to our way of handling things too).
I found the "No man has ever crawled out from under his wife's criticism to be a better man - no matter how justified her condemnation" quotation to be quite convicting...how shrewish and harsh I can be. I always promised my husband that I would never be the wife that would be the constant dripping (Prov. 27:15) or the contentious women that would force him onto the corner of the roof (Prov. 21:9) or make him wish he lived in a desert (Prov. 21:19)...so why then do I "cut" him to the quick with my tongue???? Definitely need to work on this! I was so kind and sweet when we were dating.... AND, I know, after reading Gary Chapman's book "The Five Love Languages", that my husband is Words of Affirmation, I am very accountable on this point, I know the damage I may be causing!
Have any of you done the study on "joy"...found 167 times in the Bible...
This section really reminded me of Phil 4:4-9 and 11...my favorite passage of scripture, and then she said at the end of the chapter to go read the book of Philippians...so I did, again...
1. Rejoice (v. 4)
2. Be gentle (v. 5)
3. Don't worry; instead, pray and ask God (v. 6)
4. Receive his peace (v. 7)
5. Think on positive things (v. 8)
6. THE PROMISE - take Paul's example and teachings to heart and the God of peace will be with you! (v. 9)
7. Be content with what you have (v. 11)
Finally, what we say can control our soul (the power of the tongue can bring life and death Prov 18:21)...so I need to work more on saying "Thank you God for...." so that I can be redirected into gratitude, with joy following.
I read the first chapter a good two weeks ago and then the book got put aside in favor of some lighter reading (Austen's "Emma")...well, when I was going to the Y the other day, I picked it up and read it while on the bike. Now, back up a bit, on the way to the Y, I called and complained to my husband about how tired I was, how the kids kept arguing and this and that, and on and on....so while I was reading about joy and thankfulness, I had quite the wake up call!
I'll begin with Ch.2, since Ch. 1 and the Introduction have already been so carefully covered by Corrine, herself! Prov 17:22 starts off the chapter and I began to recognize that we really can't have, or claim to have, joy if it isn't visible outwardly...this is particularly true for our children...visible joy is the only joy that children can really understand and it is an encouragement to them. I also began to remember how I was giddy, joyful when dating and am not always that way now...why do we sometimes take our spouse (and family, in general) for granted and not remember that who and what we are is reflected in our faces and our outward "joy"?
I loved the story of the "ugly, hillbilly lady" and it really makes me wonder what people see in me and how I can handle disobedience differently when I'm out in public and quite honestly, even in private (ie. at home), b/c even God can see me there and I should worry more about what he thinks than anyone! I know sometimes I'm "ugly" when I discipline the kids in anger...forgive me now Lord, as I've asked so many times in the past.... I've also always made a point of apologizing to the kids and praying with them for theirs and God's forgiveness when we loose our tempers with each other (the Doorpost's "Brothers Offended Chart" has been a great addition to our way of handling things too).
I found the "No man has ever crawled out from under his wife's criticism to be a better man - no matter how justified her condemnation" quotation to be quite convicting...how shrewish and harsh I can be. I always promised my husband that I would never be the wife that would be the constant dripping (Prov. 27:15) or the contentious women that would force him onto the corner of the roof (Prov. 21:9) or make him wish he lived in a desert (Prov. 21:19)...so why then do I "cut" him to the quick with my tongue???? Definitely need to work on this! I was so kind and sweet when we were dating.... AND, I know, after reading Gary Chapman's book "The Five Love Languages", that my husband is Words of Affirmation, I am very accountable on this point, I know the damage I may be causing!
Have any of you done the study on "joy"...found 167 times in the Bible...
I like Psalm 51:12 "Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant a willing spirit to sustain me" and Proverbs 15:30 "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones". I should be so OVERJoyed at my salvation, the greatest gift I was ever given...and I can bring joy to others just by giving them a smile....so simple and so true!
Ch. 3 was about thankfulness....I worry so much about military retirement (less than a year for us now), Jeff finding a job (I need to stop nagging), he wants to go to school full time (no job???)....do I have a downcast, unthankful spirit...sometimes YES...we aren't starving, we have a nice house, I have and can buy anything I really want...what is wrong with me then? Is my attitude dishonoring to God, I think at times YES it is....
Ch. 3 was about thankfulness....I worry so much about military retirement (less than a year for us now), Jeff finding a job (I need to stop nagging), he wants to go to school full time (no job???)....do I have a downcast, unthankful spirit...sometimes YES...we aren't starving, we have a nice house, I have and can buy anything I really want...what is wrong with me then? Is my attitude dishonoring to God, I think at times YES it is....
This section really reminded me of Phil 4:4-9 and 11...my favorite passage of scripture, and then she said at the end of the chapter to go read the book of Philippians...so I did, again...
1. Rejoice (v. 4)
2. Be gentle (v. 5)
3. Don't worry; instead, pray and ask God (v. 6)
4. Receive his peace (v. 7)
5. Think on positive things (v. 8)
6. THE PROMISE - take Paul's example and teachings to heart and the God of peace will be with you! (v. 9)
7. Be content with what you have (v. 11)
Again, I love the simple truths here!
Finally, what we say can control our soul (the power of the tongue can bring life and death Prov 18:21)...so I need to work more on saying "Thank you God for...." so that I can be redirected into gratitude, with joy following.
"Thankfulness is how you think. Joy is the abundance it produces"...so practice being thankful!!!!!!
Any thoughts???? So far, I really think these are some good reminders, I haven't seen anything too controversial yet and am really "joyful" of the prodding in the right direction... Love you all, Alisha in CO
Thank you for such a meaty, honest post, Alisha!! It has 'sharpened' me this morning--I want to have more joy!! Not for my sake, but for the sake of those around me--and my witness to others. It is lacking when I don't have joy! Thank you.
ReplyDelete